Below are some thoughts that a friend of mine recently shared. It applies to a civic community (which he and I both are concerned about) but there is also application when it comes to Faith Communities.
Tuesday Rambling 8.9.16 – How To Ruin A Community
August 9, 2016 by
Could I unintentionally contribute to the ruin of my community? I hope not, but I think the following things should make anyone think about where they live and how they conduct themselves.
Time to ramble about how to ruin a community.
- Talk negatively about it without pointing out positive things going on. (Negative will always overshadow positive.)
- Oppose change overtly or subtly by staying stuck in the “good old days”.
- Show a general sense of mistrust for anyone new or with new ideas, especially if those you mistrust come from a different generation than you do.
- Gossip about your neighbors, community organizations, fellow believers in Christ, and/or leadership.
- Never do anything or attempt to accomplish any goal with those outside your “bubble”.
- Criticize everything without showing the initiative to get involved. This applies to schools, events, initiatives, sports programs, etc.
- Avoid the weak, marginalized, powerless, or poor. Do nothing to help improve their condition.
- Rarely associate with anyone outside of your racial, political, socio-economic, or generational bubble.
- What would you add to the list? Where else should we exercise caution in doing life together?