- Got a Raspberry seltzer water
- Put a load of laundry in the washing machine
- Watched an episode of one our favorite TV shows on DVD
- Put the laundry in the dryer
- Watched another episode of the TV show
- Got a snack
Now back to the blank screen….. which got me thinking:
How often do we have a firm conviction from God? — a leading in a certain direction? — or what we know is a clear demand? — and we go into our best diversionary tactic mode?
Sometimes as disciples it is so easy for us to find a multitude of other things to do rather than that one thing we know God has placed directly in front of us.
- We volunteer for another committee at church that is less spiritually demanding
- We work longer hours at our job than required so we won’t have time
- We pick up the latest NY Times best-seller — after all it is a “must read”
- We go to the movies
- We call a friend to hit the latest local hot spot
Anything but what is demanding our attention. Jonah knew where he was to go and what he was to say — but he took off in the other direction. Is there a bit of Jonah in our reactions to God’s calling?
So what are you facing? What has God called you to do? What is God calling you to venture into on His behalf?
Turn off the TV — let the laundry wait — Ask God to give you the “hook” you need. Have someone else hold you accountable. Get R Done. Do it! Carpe Diem!
You get the idea……